Monday, March 28, 2011

hot air balloons.

I think I have always had a secret obsession with hot air balloons.  I used to doodle them all over my notebooks in college.  Maybe it is that they don't really make sense to me.  How does a flame make the balloon float?  How do you make a basket so strong it can hold people in it?  How does one land properly (without anyone flying out of said basket)?  Oh and I cannot forget to mention how beautiful they are!!  Is there anything else man made that floats in the sky that is so organically beautiful???  No you say?  I didn't think so!

Well, I think I have decided that I want to take a ride in one.  My first thought was that I should have put this on my list of things to do before I turn 27.  Then I thought again because where does one go to ride in a hot air balloon?  How much will this set us back?  These are things to consider before committing myself to do this in less than 4 months. I think I am going to add to this my running list of things to do before I turn....let's say 30?! 

























I stumbled upon this beautiful photo of hot air balloons.  The artist combines photography with digital painting.  I guess I don't know what that means but whatever it is is good.  Visit Tricia McKellar's etsy shop or Poppytalk's Handmade Spring Market to get a picture of a hot air balloon for yourself.

5 comments:

  1. I want to go in a hot air balloon too! I looked it up a few months ago and there is a place you can do it for $230 per person. It's about an hour or so from NYC, so you could come here to do it! I bet it'd be gorgeous in the fall....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana! You should come up to Michigan June 24-26 :) My lil town hosts the Michigan Challenge Balloonfest and it's a fun weekend fair that is dedicated to hot air balloons! They do launches with 100+ balloons, and evening glows where the pretty balloons all flame their balloons and they glow.
    Check it out http://www.michiganchallenge.com/
    Good reason to come visit, right ;)
    ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man. both of these sound great! Kristin - I will try and talk Seth into this! We should do it together :) Brooke-We do need to come down sometime soon - great excuse!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Patrick and I did a hot air balloon ride over Napa Valley and it was peaceful and beautiful and lovely. BUT, we had quite the rough landing and it was somewhat scary to me. I would probably do it again though. :) Love that picture painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd totally do it with you, if you guys wanted to. The whole landing thing scares me a little bit, but whatever. I'm sure it'd be worth it.

    ReplyDelete